Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Such is life.

I'm sure that at one time or another, someone has asked you, "if money and time weren't an issue, what would you do?" Well, I have been asked this question before and it has always troubled me. It is troubling because I've given a great deal of thought to this question and sadly, have not come up with a deeply passionate answer. I've always been concerned about that.
Sure, I've thought of some things I would like to do...like travel. But, beyond that, nothing truly substantial.
I used to think that, because I didn't have a good answer to this question, something was wrong with me. For example, does that fact that I can't answer this question mean that I'm not truly passionate about anything, interested in anything, concerned about anything? I used to think that was the case. But, I'm finally learning that, it's okay not to have an answer to this question...or answer to a lot of other questions regarding my future.
Take a glance at my major: Nonprofit Administration. hmm..sounds legit but, what does that really mean? Well, they are preparing me to lead, administer, and operate a nonprofit company. I would say that 98% of the people who ask me what I'm going to do with my degree have the same response: "oh, you're not going to have any money!" or "really? you can study that and get a degree?" Awesome. That makes me feel great. So, while I have a major and am working toward a goal, (getting a degree) my plans are still murky. There are so many different directions I could go upon graduation and I don't feel a strong pull toward any one thing.
But, what I take comfort in is that I know God is in this plan. I know he is leading me towards something greater than what I'm doing now. Lindenwood is a great place to learn and get prepared for the next phase in my life. While I'm still not sure about the answer to that infamous question, I know that I trust God.
Really, isn't that a better answer to the question?? I could say whatever I wanted but, shouldn't God be in on my dreams and goals? Shouldn't he be the one in control?

4 comments:

Kara said...

OH! Did I bring this on?! lol I did! It was me!

Kendra said...

You know, Kelly, I have no doubts about your future. Our society is so concerned with what people do--to the extent that who they are is of little or no importance. I'm 42, and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I do know this. God is in control and God has called me to this place and time for a reason and for a season. You're right. God does have a plan for you and it's better than you could ask or imagine. As for non-profit admin...sounds cool to me! It sounds like you want your life to mean something, that you want to leave the world a better place than you found it, that what you will do doesn't define you. That who you are and whose you are guides the most important decisions in life! Love you. See you Saturday!!!

DRU said...

AMEN.

I completely agree with you. Adam and I have had the rug pulled out from under us many times in our short marriage, and every time God already had a pillow prepared for us to land on. We both have college degrees, are somewhat intelligent, and do our jobs to the best of our ability. However, that does not mean that we are guaranteed to keep those jobs or those pay checks.

That's why we continue, as you do, to put our faith in God -- without a doubt, I know that He has prepared a place for us and a life for our son-to-be. Now, I'm still not sure how we'll pay our school bills this fall, but I know that the uncertainty that comes with that situation doesn't have a chance at lessening my faith in God's guidance and direction for the life of our family.

You're right on the money. Continue to be willing to be led, and you'll realize you're not worried about a 10 year plan for your future.

Miss you -- DRU

Kendra said...

New blog please. What's on your mind, o woman of God?