Monday, September 17, 2007

The Blogger Revolution

I have a blog. This is a bit weird for me. I don't journal or jot down my thoughts much. But, after moving to Saint Louis and being in the classes I am and reading the books I have been reading, and having intellectual and spiritual conversations, I have had a lot of thoughts running through my head. I need an outlet for the jumbled mess inside of my brain. This will be the place for that. Read it if you would like, comment if so moved. If not, that is fine also. I just need a place to express thoughts.

This is just a taste of some of the things that have been controlling my mind lately:
- The question of quality: what makes something better than something else? Why do Picasso's paintings sell for more than Pollock's paintings? Deprive a person of water and he will be dead in a matter of days yet, water sells for less than a penny a gallon. Humans can get along perfectly well without gold yet, it sells for $400 an ounce. Is it the cost of production that makes something better than something else? Willingness to pay cannot be the whole story, can it?

- You go to elementary school to go to middle school to go to high school in order to get into college and graduate with a degree. You get a degree to get a job. You go to grad school in hopes of a better job. Well, what happens when all that is over? What happens when you graduate and get a job? Are you satisfied? Is the journey over? Do you feel a sense of fullfilment? I feel like I've been in school for a long time, simply waiting for "real life" to happen. For example, well, when I graduate then I can finally have that job that I've been working towards. What happens if the job you've been going to school for all these years isn't fullfilling? What if that isn't what you want? What is supposed to ultimately satisfy a person?

- not to mention questions about world hunger, the abundance of wealth compared to the abundance of poverty, divorce rates, cultural hate, corruption in government, how to truely live like Jesus, etc...
Where do you even start? How can I, as a full time college student with a part-time job try and make the world a better place? How can I contribute something?
I get overwhelmed just thinking about these things.

2 comments:

Doug Johnston said...

Hey! I appreciate your thoughts!

In fact, I'll do a little dialogue to bounce my thoughts off of yours.

Quality: One thing that has been on my mind a lot lately that seems relevant to this is "time". It seems that time is a necessary element to instill value on just about anything. Time spent with someone is necessary to show them love or care. Time spent eating is necessary to live. In a sense, I think it safe to say that time IS love. Or maybe time IS life. Perhaps, it's the time that people sacrifice for their art that makes their art so valuable. Not necessarily that more time spent on one piece makes it more valuable than another. But maybe that they choose to invest that time into an invention of the mind, that could be spent on another human being.

Satisfaction and Contribution: It's interesting, I went to the Gathering last night (college/post-college worship put on by heartland church - sister church of Jacob's well). Isaac, the speaker, spoke on Colossians 3:22-25. This set of verses (particularly 23) deals a lot with doing God's work and essentially being a missionary for the Lord everyday, regardless of what one does on a day to day basis (job, school, etc.) It was very convicting to me and a great reminder of how many ways I can uphold righteousness and be an example of Christ to others, even when I "feel" like I'm not (or others are not) doing anything to further God's kingdom. Of course, my "feelings" could be (are are probably more often than not) deceiving anyways. We really have NO idea about how what we're doing right now will play, and is playing, out to bring glory to God. For me, it's always easy to out-think myself and say "this doesn't matter" or "that doesn't matter", then go on to be rude or bitter or neglectful because of it. But what do I know?! That's when I realize that...again...I'm such a screw up without Christ! And the only way I'm going to have a Chance of following Him and doing his will...is to, in fact, follow Him and do His will (read the word - do the word...daily). Good stuff.

Thanks for sharing your challenging thoughts!

Adam Caldwell said...

Kelly...you need to let people know about these exciting events...like having a blog...i'll give you some link love.