Thursday, October 11, 2007

Grocery Store Blues

I was in the grocery store the other day, buying honey crisp apples and jalapenos for adam and I's awesome burritos. I simply turned my head and noticed all the beautiful color and texture of the fruit and vegetables that I was surronded by. It all looked so good and colorful and healthy. And I wondered, who was it that decided that all this beautiful fruit was not good enough? When did we start producing high fructose corn syrup and cellulose gum and potassium sorbate? And when did we start liking it and not thinking it was weird to eat things we couldn't pronounce? Now, don't get me wrong, I love various manufactured foods that come in colorful boxes and food with "additives"..without this we wouldn't have: crunchwrap supremes and zebra cakes and my favorite..peanut butter concretes. I just think it's odd that God gaves us everything we need to survive. He gave us apples and peaches and strawberries and pineapple and melon and carrots and peppers and pecans and peanuts and read meat and chicken and whole grains. Why wasn't this good enough for us?

1 comment:

Adam Caldwell said...

I will not disagree with you, but I will say that there is much more genetic enginerring going on in those apples then we may realize. (Note: 28 Days Later)